Monday, July 4, 2011

Technology is not fun

I started working from home on March 1, and got a brand new cell phone for work.  It's one of those flip-top blackberry phones, which I quickly learned really sucks.  The bluetooth still doesn't work, and it freezes multiple times throughout the day.  I keep meaning to stop by a Sprint store to have it fixed, but this never seems to fit into my busy day.  So the lesson I learned is to never buy this phone again.   I then bought a brand new, and free!, android phone, and am still trying to figure out how to download pictures and movies.  Sometimes, I really hate technology.  This blog is an amazing tool to update pictures for family and friends, but it takes time to figure it out, and I'd much rather do things like read a book or sleep when the kids are asleep.  This is the only time I can update, because Callista becomes extremely indignant that I should deem to pay attention to a computer screen instead of her, and Griffin wants to look at all the pictures and videos, again and again and again.  Right now, he is distracted because he is watching his favorite new show, "Gumball", on the cartoon channel.  That's another story I'll save for another day.

Callista began to walk a few weeks ago.  I caught it on camera the day after she started, and posted to Facebook, and here it is:
She is now walking more than crawling.  What's really funny is when I catch her playing with something she shouldn't have (a wad of paper, my magazine, etc), and takes off running to get away.  The problem is she really can't run yet, so after a few steps, she takes a nosedive and lands on the floor.  She then giggles as I take away the object.  It is clear she thinks this is funny.  In fact, her favorite things to do involve activities that she has learned we don't want her to do such as:

-Digging through the trash can (We finally put it in the laundry room because she was frequenting the trash can every 10 minutes or so).
-Knocking over the fan
-Grabbing any paper items we accidentally leave out and quickly consuming them if we don't stop her in time (We usually get to her after the first bite).
-Escape attempts into the hallway, where she immediately goes for the dog food.   She's got some type of radar for this.  Whenever the gate is left open, she immediately heads for it as quickly as she can.  Luckily, Griffin has gotten much better at closing it. 
-Stealing the electronics (Cell phone, remote control, you name it).  Last time I caught her with the remote, she was clicking through all the channels and looking at the TV as if she knew what she was doing.

She started pointing a few months ago, then waving, and started clapping a few days after she started walking.  Below is a slideshow from Picasa showing Griffin's end of the year pres-school program, Callista waving (she now points and waves at Daddy at the same time, because we kept confusing her about which one to do, so, she decided to do both at the same time), and a picture of the flowers blooming in our front yard.

Pictures from the past few months

We took a summer tour of the Midwest (usually we only do this during Christmas), driving to Missouri and Nebraska to visit family.  We have pictures from the trip, but haven't downloaded them to the computer yet.  I'll post them next time.

Summer is passing by very quickly.  Our blueberry bushes have finally ripened, so I picked the first crop yesterday.  When we first moved here, the blueberry bushes were fairly new and a few feet tall.  Now they are taller than us, and yield a very large crop.  I'm very proud that we haven't killed it yet, as every other food item we've tried to grow failed.

No comments: