Saturday, December 13, 2008

The glasses weren't destroyed!




Since Griffiin has learned to grab with his hands, one of the things he loved to do the most was try to take the eyeglasses. It was a constant battle to keep our glasses out of Griffin's hands. If he succeeded in grabbing the glasses, he would try to destroy the glasses. As you can imagine, we tried to remain vigilant in keeping our glasses away from his hands. One morning last week, an amazing thing happened. Right after Griffin got up in the morning, I brought him downstairs, and then left the room for a few minutes. When I returned, he had approached me and tried to hand me something shiny. I couldn't see it really well, so got closer, finally realizing that Griffin found my glasses. Instead of destroying them, as he would have tried to do in the past, he gave them to me. Success!
He's also learned how to put things in the trash. Whenever we change his diaper, he now wants to carry the dirty diaper to the trash can. Things off the ground that he used to put in his mouth are instead shown to me so we can put it in the trash.

We've got quite a climber on our hands. He's learned to climb the coffee table. Yesterday, he tried to move the dog kennels to different spots in order to climb the bookshelf and other furniture. Above are some pictures of Griffin's favorite spots in the house. I'm not quite sure if he's a toddler or a monkey!
He's now saying "nana" for banana. He's also creating his own sign language. At first, he signed to let me know to sing the "Itsy Bitsy Spider". That sign now means "again". He's also giving us other signs frequently with his hands that I haven't quite figured out, but definitely mean something as he uses them all the time. Since we've never tried to teach him sign language, I find it interesting he's initiated it on his own. Maybe we should start looking into it.




No comments: