Saturday, October 30, 2010

Chuggin' along and other interesting facts

Corey and I have learned one thing about Callista.  When Griffin was a baby, we read the book, did what the book said, and it worked.  With Callista, we might as well throw the book away because nothing applies to her.

So, Callista had her 2-month check-up in early October.  Yes, it's October 30.  Yes, I know it's been awhile since I've updated this site.  Work has been busy, what can I say?  No, it's even more than that.  It's Callista.  She is non-stop action from the time she wakes up until the time she goes to sleep.  I've celebrated because in the past week, she's actually gone to sleep at 10 pm for the past 4 nights.  Prior to that, I'd get home from work, and she would be up until about 11 pm-midnight, just soaking up the world.  No gas, no fussiness, just looking around and taking everything in (unless of course, we put her down, when her world ends and she screams as if we had abandoned her).

Anyway, back to the 2-month check-up.  She weighed in at a whopping 13 lbs. 4 oz, which placed her in the 95%.  At her 1 month check up, she was only in the 50%.  When the assistant measured her at 23.5 inches long, she left the room, only to rush back in a minute later saying she must have measured her wrong.  I was getting a little worried at how concerned she was, and asked what was wrong.  She said that Callista was in the 50% last month for height, and she was now measuring in the 90%, which doesn't usually happen.  She re-measured her, and Callista was still 23.5.  Apparently, all her eating has helped her grow.  The shots were the most interesting part.  She had 4 shots given in her thighs within a half-minute, so both the nurse and I were ready for her to start crying.  Instead, she lets out more of a scream, and then stopped cold turkey.  We both looked at her like, "What?".  She then whimpered a few times, and as the nurse walked out the door, Callista followed her with a big ole' pout on her face.  The look pretty much said, "I won't forget you did this to me".

Since birth, Callista has done this little walk, where she would literally pick up one foot and then the other as if walking.  All the books said this was a natural instinct that disappeared within a month or two.  Well, in the past month, she's become very intent on walking.  She doesn't want to sit, roll, lay on her tummy, or grab at things.  She wants to stand and walk, with us holding her of course.  We tried to put her in the little jumper, but she still wasn't happy because she couldn't walk.  We have concluded that she needs a walker.  We had a hard time believing it, so video-taped it for posterity.


Of course, Griffin really wanted a video as well, so I told him he would have his own video if he wouldn't take over Callista's video.  He agreed for the most part.  Below is Griffin's video




Maybe I exaggerated just a little when I said Callista won't sit at all.  She'll sit every once in awhile, and can now lean against things with assistance.  I took pictures one day of this, as did Corey.  Griffin wanted in on the action as usual, so we got a great shot of the kids.





Other pictures:

Griffin and Dante passed out on the couch


Pumpkin patch I

Pumpkin patch II

Pumpkin Patch III


Pumpkin Patch IV
As you can see, we went to the pumpkin patch.  It was supposed to be a one-day trip, a 1 1/2 hour trip to the mountains to enjoy nature, pick pumpkins from the patch, pet some animals, pick some apples and take a hay ride.  Transition to reality, where the line to park at the pumpkin patch was backed up and there were literally thousands of people there.  ...and guess what?  No patch, just pumpkins thrown everywhere.  We stayed for a total of 10 minutes.  When we drove to the apple orchard, we were stopped in a line of cars 2 miles away from the entrance and decided to end our trip right there and head back home.  Lesson learned:  Go on a weekday or in September, or don't go at all.

Overall it's been a great month, sans extreme exhaustion, Corey's sinus infection, Griffin's fever, Callista's stuffy nose, and my mastitis.  OK, sarcasm aside, it's been a good month.  .

No comments: