Monday, January 10, 2011

Where to begin?

Well, over 3 months has passed since my last blog update.  The reason can be summed up in one word:  Callista.  Our now 5-month old daughter has been one ball of energy.  There were days when we were lucky if she napped more than 10 minutes at a time, and nights when we celebrated if she actually went to bed by 10 pm.      

She is finally, finally, getting on a more normal schedule.  Last week, we decided to do the cry it out method.  Actually, I decided to do this at 4 am when Callista would not calm down whether I held her or not.  I finally gave up, laid her in the crib, went back to the bedroom, and told Corey we were giving it a try.  With Griffin, his first cry it out lasted about 1 hour and 45 minutes, so we were ready.  We took turns going in to comfort her every 5 minutes, and not even 1/2 hour later, she had passed out.  Also unlike Griffin, when we comfort Callista (patting her on the back, etc), she calms down and relaxes a little, which I think helped a lot.

Ever since then, we've started putting her down at 8 pm at night.  At long last, both kids are now in bed by 9 pm!  We actually have some time to ourselves!  Maybe I'll use some of this time to actually write a post or two.

At her 4-month checkup, Callista weighed 16 lbs. 2 ozs (90th %), and was 25 1/2 inches long (50-75%).  Really, there is a 25% point difference in range of height, so I'm not sure if it's worth much.  Her little noggin, though, is in the 25%, which means she's got a tiny little head.

She started pulling herself up and bearing weight at 2 months (even taking steps), and tripod sitting in the middle of her 3rd month.  She is now comfortably sitting on her own, so much so, that she hates laying down at all.  This has resulted in her not rolling over very well.  I mean, she can do it, she'd just rather not.

Callista has developed quite a strong personality.  If you take a toy she's playing with, she screams in what I'm sure she views as righteous anger.  She also is starting to smile, squeal in delight, and experimenting with her vocal chords.  I really love watching her grow.

Griffin is growing up as well.   I need to start writing down some of his commentary, as it's something that will be fun to read as he gets older.  One day, he saw a legos commercial, and told Corey he wanted legos.  Corey said he had to be 4 before he could get legos, and Griffin pauses for a second, then says, "I'm 4 now daddy".  Another day, he mentioned how he was going to go to Burger King, get some beer, and then come home and watch Thomas.

One moment I will treasure is at night when I give him a hug and kiss before he goes to bed.  If I kiss his cheeks, he'll say "No mommy, right here" and point to his lips.

Right now, it's dinner time, so I will post pictures in the next blog post.  Since tomorrow will be the 2nd snow day in Atlanta, it won't be too long.

No comments: