Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Do I have to go back to work?

Callista at 5 weeks old



Too cute!



Nap time




Grandma Crofford




Griffin's favorite outfit for Callista



Audrain grandkids


I decided that since I'm on leave for a few more weeks, that I would schedule a much needed surgery. It was either now, or in a few months when I might not have a lot of paid days of leave left, so I had the surgery on August 23. When I reviewed this type of surgery online, many said it was the most painful surgery they ever had, and recovery time was anywhere from 1 to 6 weeks. I thought to myself that I just had another C-Section, and was up and about within a few days, so I should be fine with this one (it was also cleared by my doctors). Boy, was I wrong. It was, hands down, the most painful experience I've had in my entire life. Even this past Monday, 1 week after the surgery, we could only get out of the house for 20 minutes at the most, so I could refill my pain medication, before we had to head back because I was in too much pain. It's now Wednesday, and things are much improved, but I'm still really sore. Was it worth it, you ask? Without sharing too much information, the answer is YES! I would have experienced pain had I not had the surgery at all, so a lot of pain in a short period of time to avoid chronic pain was worth it to me. That is, of course, what I told myself over and over and over again in the past week so I wouldn't stew in a sea of regret.

Now that things are getting back to normal, I've realized that I only have a few more weeks of leave left before heading back to work. I think I need to go out and buy some lottery tickets to see if I can hold off on returning to work, because I'm really enjoying my time home. There is so much I want to do before heading back, yet so little time. I guess I should get started...

Griffin is really getting into his role as big brother. When we first brought Callista home, he became very upset whenever Callista cried. We assured him that she can't talk, so crying is the way she lets us know she needs something. It still bothered him, so he cried right back at her, mimicking her sounds. If he heard her crying after we put him to bed, he would yell out, "I'm coming, I'm coming Callista! It's ok! She needs me!" Even after telling him she would be fine, he would still say, "She needs me!" Now, I think he's getting used to it, because in the car today, he looked at her as she was crying and said, "Go ahead and cry". This phrase is also what we use with him when he doesn't get his way and starts crying. We usually follow it up with, "you still won't get it".

Griffin also loves to be in the pictures with Callista. Every time we pull out the camera and aim it towards Callista, he'll run on over to us, get in the picture, and say, "Cheese!" Since he's adorable anyway, I make sure to get a few shots of both of them.

For the first 4 weeks after Callista's birth, we were visited by family from out of town. Callista was able to meet all of her aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents, and it was nice to spend time with them. Griffin received more attention than he gets from his parents in a year. He traveled to North Augusta, went to the zoo and aquarium, and had an early birthday party. I felt kind of bad after the family left, because there was no way we could give him the same amount of attention. I was worried he would end up resenting Callista because of this, but he is still the same adoring brother. Every day, he asks to hold her, and gives her many kisses and hugs. He has also dubbed the pacifier a new name. It is now the "plastic flyer".

He starts pre-school next Wednesday. We had orientation today, and he's really excited to be going back.

I know that I'm writing a lot more about Griffin than Callista. As to Callista...well...she's cute and adorable. She eats, sleeps, and is becoming more aware of her surroundings. She can roll to her side, and I think she'll be rolling from back to front by the end of September. I think we'll see her first smile during bath time, as she absolutely loves it. In the past week, she's finally slept through the night except for feedings. Overall, life is good.

No comments: